Get the Cal Times delivered to your Inbox!

PennWest California to Host Spring Commencement Sat., May 4

Graduates Are Ready to be Honored at PennWest California Commencement in the Convocation Center
CalTimes
PennWest California Students during the December 2023 Commencement Ceremony from left: Owen Leason, Braxton Turner, Noah Turner, Vulcan’s Mascot Blaze, and Sarah Seader

Spring 2024 Commencement will be held on Sat., May 4 for Doctorate, Masters, and Undergraduate candidates in the Student Convocation Center. There will be two commencement ceremonies, the 10 a.m. ceremony will honor the graduates of the College of Education, Arts, and Humanities as well as the College of Science, Technology, and Business. The student speaker will be Sarah Seader with a speech related to legacy.

Sarah Seader is a University Honors Program Student at PennWest California, who will graduate Summa Cum Laude with two degrees in Business Administration Management and Management Information Systems with a Certificate in Innovation and Entrepreneurship as well as a Certificate in Data Science, all in three years while maintaining a 4.0 GPA. Seader serves as the PennWest California Student Trustee and also as the Editor-in-Chief for the CalTimes Student Newspaper.

Seader is heavily involved on campus serving as the President of the SAI Board of Directors, President of DECA, Student Government Executive Board serving as Vice President, Vice President of Finance Club, Accounting Club Treasurer, Alpha Lambda Delta (ALD) Senior Advisor and past President, and on the Student Honors Advisory Board (SHAB).

Seader is also a member of Women United, CUTV, WCAL, New Life, STAND, American Sign Language (ASL) Club, Society of Professional Journalists, American Marketing Association (AMA), Student Activities Board (SAB), Vulcan Gaming Club, President’s Leadership Academy (PLA), The National Society of Leadership and Success (NSLS) and serves as a Peer Mentor and Honors Coach.

Seader is heavily engaged in research opportunities at Cal. She completed her Honors Thesis in the fall semester and enjoyed the many opportunities to complete business and marketing research through Strike A Spark. Post graduation, Seader will be working in the financial services industry at PNC Financial Services in Downtown Pittsburgh working in Independent Risk Management starting in August 2024, after successfully completing an internship in the Summer of 2023. She plans to simultaneously pursue her MBA and remain an active alum of PennWest California.

The second ceremony will be held at 2:30 p.m. for the College of Health Sciences and Human Services and the student speaker will be Olivia Russo.

Olivia Russo is a Sociology major with a minor in Political Science who plans on beginning to work on her Masters degree in Legal Studies at PennWest immediately following her undergraduate graduation. She also plans on pursuing law school afterwards, and she hopes to specialize in public interest or environmental law. She has been deeply involved in student life at PennWest California, including maintaining two work studies on campus, being elected as Treasurer and Vice President of Rainbow Alliance, and working as a student senator and committee chair for the Student Government Association. After higher education, Russo hopes to spend her life fighting for change and social justice.

To prepare for graduation, all graduates have the opportunity to attend a Commencement Rehearsal in the Convocation Center on Fri., May 3 at 11 a.m. followed by a Senior Sendoff hosted by the Office of Student Development. Students have the opportunity to enjoy food trucks, music, and reminisce with fellow graduates!

For those unable to attend in person, a livestream link is available:
10 a.m.
California Commencement Livestream
2:30 p.m.
California Commencement Livestream

Commencement Program

Congratulations to the Class of 2024!